Bienvenue (chargement en cours - javascript nécessaire)

Agenda
20 et 21 avril 2024
Foire aux plantes du château de la Ferté (Saint-Ambreuil, 71, France)
J'y vais
20 et 21 avril 2024
Printemps aux Jardins (Aiffres, 79, France)
J'y vais
20 et 21 avril 2024
Printemps du Bourgailh (Pessac, 33, France)
J'y vais
20 et 21 avril 2024
Courtanvaux côté jardin (Bessé sur Braye, 72, France)
J'y vais
20 et 21 avril 2024
JardiPlantes (Garlan, 29, France)
J'y vais
20 et 21 avril 2024
Marché aux Fleurs - La Baule (La Baule-Escoublac, 44, France)
J'y vais
Toutes les dates

Pilosocereus

English forum - Posted by jvfreeman 
Fiche de membre Fiche de membre
Pilosocereus
November 27, 2019 12:58AM
Thank you all for an informative discussion and nice images on this particular topic of Pilosocereus. I bought these in 2012 at 3 inches in height, grew them to flowering maturity in Florida by 2018 and now have 1400 1-2 inch seedlings in pots. The flowers are yellow (no pink) and emerged from a somewhat wooly cephalium. The stems all have 8 ribs.
My seedlings have mostly 8 ribs, sometimes 9 or 10. I am not sure if they are Pilosocereus Odilensis, Leucocephalus var. Palmeri or some hybrid with Pachycladus. What are these please?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2019 06:29AM by alain.
Re: Pilosocereus
November 27, 2019 07:39AM
Pilosocereus leucocephalus (palmeri) is a variable species and the flower may be whitish.
What about Odilensis ? i think it's not an official name, just a selling denomination ?
Tom
November 27, 2019 10:25AM
Hi,

« Pilosocereus odilensis » is just a fancy name, without description.
And, of course, you don't have a field number.
Do you think your plant matches the description of Pilosocereus pachycladus ?

November 28, 2019 02:04AM
Thank you both for your thoughts on this. In learning that flower color variability in Leucocephalus includes white and yellow, and the cephalium wool is clearly differentiated (somewhat weakly for Leucocephalus) from the rest of the stem, I would be tempted to lean a little more toward Leucocephalus (Palmeri). Llifle and Cactiguide list several types of Pachycladus - Pachycladus var Pachycladus, Pachycladus Azureus (usually 6 ribs) and Pachycladus Pernambuccoensis. Though most have no cephalium, a few Pachycladus images on there do. It was also helpful to read on this thread how it is that nursery specimens don't always resemble their wild habitat counterpart descriptions. No field collection numbers, I bought these from a giant box store chain supplied by Altman or Costa Farms. Hoping to correctly describe and label these for buyers, and I'm not even sure what the maximum height and shape will be in ten years. Since beginning this journey I have become a big fan of field numbers and provenance. I might be doomed to use a DNA test kit. Here is a final photo I took today of the largest seedlings from these parent cacti.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Attention : votre message doit respecter la charte du forum du CF.

Attachments:
  • Valid attachments: gif, jpg, png, jpeg
  • No file can be larger than 250 KB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 1.22 MB
  • 5 more file(s) can be attached to this message

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.